Who am I?
My name is Richard Thompson. I am an English-language copywriter/editor, web writer and content strategist, living and working in France, near Paris. I’m also an avid amateur photographer (all the photos in the page headers are mine) and no relation at all to this Richard Thompson.
What do I do?
I transform ideas into words. I turn strategy into narrative. I help organizations speak with a human voice. I plan, create, shape and produce copy and content (they’re not the same thing). I focus on the reader, not the writer; on the benefits before the features.
Why are words important?
Because people make snap judgements about you based on the words that you use. Deep down, we all know this is true. Ever told a funny joke that no one laughed at? Ever been bored stiff by someone sitting next to you on a plane? Ever realized that you don’t understand what someone just explained to you?
Clear communications is particularly important if you communicate in English, but it isn’t your mother tongue. Good writing is a competitive advantage, especially in today’s post-Internet era in which advertising and marketing are less and less about “talking at” customers and more and more about “talking with” them. How you say “it” is becoming as important as what you have say
What am I good at?
- Discovering: What the real message is, what makes you interesting.
- Creating: The concepts, the tactics, the angles that put the story in motion.
- Organizing: Developing a story divided into bite-size chunks. Aligning content with brand and customers.
- Writing: Sharp copy that is compelling and memorable.
What services do I provide?
- Strategy: Building the verbal identity of a product, service or brand.
- Concepts: The creative executions that convey the message
- Copy: Writing that sells. Its job is to persuade.
- Content: Writing that tells. Its job is to inform.
- Editorial Coordination: The editor-in-chief who weaves all the words together.
Who do you work for?
I work directly with some companies and work for others through their agencies. Some of my clients are big, well-known brands. Others are unknown to the general public but are leaders in their fields.
Past and current clients include Palm, Alcatel, ArcelorMittal, BlackBerry, Cargill, Lexmark, Chicago Pneumatic, Essilor, MASSIVEGOOD, Michelin, Paris-ile de France Tourism, Pinnacle, Packard Bell, PCM, UK Trade & Investment and Valtech.
Please contact me for a copy of my portfolio.